Position: Executive & Operations Assistant
Dogwood Alliance mobilizes diverse voices to protect the unique forests and communities of the Southern US from destructive industrial logging through grassroots action, holding corporate and government decision-makers accountable, catalyzing large-scale conservation, and advancing a 21st century vision that fully values forests for the myriad ways in which they sustain life. Having transformed the practices of some of the largest corporations in the world, Dogwood is on the leading edge of international, national and regional efforts to advance forest protection in the US South.
We are seeking an Executive & Operations Assistant responsible for providing high-quality administrative and project support to the Executive Director and the Operations team. The Executive & Operations Assistant supports the productivity and efficiency of the Executive Director as well as the Dogwood staff, board, volunteers, and interns. This position helps to ensure smooth-running office operations.
The ideal candidate will enthusiastically embrace the role, taking pride in outstanding execution of all tasks and projects, regardless of size and scope. The successful candidate for this position is proactive, resourceful, detail-oriented, well-organized, and demonstrates good judgment and decision-making skills. This role is an excellent opportunity for an individual looking to demonstrate expertise in project management, executive management, administrative generalist experience, and leadership skills in a nonprofit.
Support to the Executive Director (60%): Provide administrative and logistical support for the Executive Director to allow her to engage most productively with Dogwood’s board, staff, and external audiences. This will include calendar management, email and phone screening, travel coordination, and a variety of other needs that may arise.
Office operations (30%): Support the Operations Manager and the Director of Finance & Operations in ensuring that board and staff have the operational and financial resources they need to do their work. This will primarily focus on support to the Board of Directors but will include other operational and administrative tasks as needed.
Surge Capacity across Dogwood (10%): Provide short-term assistance to other Dogwood teams on an as-needed basis during particularly busy times or when staffing or other needs arise.
- 3+ years of experience in an executive support role
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding time management skills with proven ability to multi-task and manage changing priorities effectively
- Demonstrated ability to execute on both short-term, deadline-driven tasks as well as long-term, complex projects
- A strong work ethic and positive attitude with a willingness to be flexible and do whatever it takes to get the job done
- A professional and resourceful style with good instincts about when to work independently and when to leverage support from others
- Sound judgment, maturity, and ability to handle sensitive information with discretion
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to learn new tasks quickly
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite strongly preferred
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion; evidence of cultural sensitivity in past employment and life experiences
The Executive & Operations Assistant role is a full-time, non-exempt position and will report to the Operations Manager. The position has been based in Dogwood’s Asheville office, but for an exceptional candidate, Dogwood Alliance would also consider a remote location within a five-hour drive of Asheville, NC. Interested candidates should have prior experience in a remote work environment and should be prepared to discuss potential remote work arrangements during the application process, including periodic availability for meetings, workshops, and other events in the Asheville area.
We understand that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
We value and respect all types of diversity and strongly encourage applicants from traditionally marginalized groups to apply. We prohibit discrimination and harassment and provide equal employment opportunity without regard to, and not limited to, ethnicity, religion, race, national origin, abilities, gender identity, age, or genetic information. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, and promoting those from minority and disadvantaged groups. We want to live in a world that recognizes the inherent strengths that come from different viewpoints, backgrounds, cultures, and experiences. As a team, we have taken on a commitment to examining our unconscious biases and want to work towards an equitable, peaceful, and just world.
To apply, fill in our Contact Information Form, then send a cover email to [email protected] with the subject Executive & Operations Assistant, and attach a document with your answers to the following questions:
- Why do you want to work for Dogwood Alliance?
- What is your understanding of the position?
- What experience do you have that makes you a good fit for this position?
No other attachments please.
Position open until filled.