Media Outreach Contractor
Renewable 6-month contract
Dogwood Alliance seeks an independent Media Outreach Contractor to support the Communications department. The initial contract is for six months of coverage, averaging 10-15 hours a week. The position is renewable every 6 months. Pay dependent on experience, $20-35/hour.
This position is responsible for media relations in our priority states and local areas in the Southern US and will report to the Communications Director. This is an ideal opportunity for a mission-driven PR and media specialist who wants to be a part of the forest protection and environmental justice movement.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing relationships and liaising with print, radio, TV, and online media across priority states in the Southern US
- Working in collaboration with our Programs team to develop press advisories, releases, and pitches for our work and community partners across the region
- Organizing press conferences and individual interviews for key events and initiatives
- Monitoring state and local media in our priority Southern states
Candidate Requirements: You are a great candidate for this position if you have/are:
- 2+ years of experience in media or public relations
- Advanced skills using Excel/Google Sheets, Google Drive, and media databases
- Ability to manage several tasks or projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively
- Ability to communicate effectively, especially science and policy to non-experts
- Work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Flexible, adaptable, and comfortable with (perhaps even excited by) rapid change
- Attention to detail for brand, tone, and organizational values
- Passionate about forests, climate change issues, and environmental justice
The Communications Department is housed in our Advancement Department and is the central hub for Dogwood Alliance’s PR, storytelling, and media relations. We work closely with the organization’s Programs staff to frame, message, and pitch their work for maximum success and leverage on our campaigns. We maximize the organization’s impact in order to put Dogwood Alliance in the best position possible to protect forests and communities in the Southern US.
Dogwood Alliance advances environmental justice and climate action by mobilizing diverse voices to protect Southern forests and communities from industrial logging. For 25 years, Dogwood Alliance has worked with communities, partner organizations, and decision-makers to protect Southern forests across 14 states. We do this through community and grassroots organizing, holding corporations and governments accountable, and working to conserve millions of acres of Southern forests. Learn more at DogwoodAlliance.org and follow us on social media @Dogwood Alliance.
- This opportunity is open only to candidates who can work as Independent Contractors.
- We verify information provided in the application process.
We value and respect all types of diversity and strongly encourage applicants from traditionally marginalized groups to apply. We prohibit discrimination and harassment and provide equal employment opportunity without regard to, and not limited to, ethnicity, religion, race, national origin, abilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or genetic information. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, and promoting those from minority and disadvantaged groups. We want to live in a world that recognizes the inherent strengths that come from different viewpoints, backgrounds, cultures, and experiences. As a team, we have taken on a commitment to examining our unconscious biases and working towards an equitable, peaceful, and just world.
Applicants should first fill in our Contact Information Form. Then applicants should attach their resume, references, and include a few words about why they are excited about this opportunity in their cover letter to Communications Director, Scot Quaranda, at [email protected]. The subject line should include “Media Outreach Contractor”. No other attachments, please.
Position open until filled.