The forests of the US South are central to meaningful climate action. We must heal our relationship with the earth. And to do this, we need to transform forest management in the US. Healthy, natural forests are our best defense against a changing climate, and that’s why we need to keep them standing.
We must take a serious look at past injustice, especially centuries of systemic racism against Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) communities. We can’t make meaningful progress on climate change without addressing the injustices that have plagued BIPOC communities in the South.
Mission: Dogwood Alliance advances environmental justice and climate action by mobilizing diverse voices to protect Southern forests and communities from industrial logging.Take Action Now To Support Our Mission
For over 25 years, Dogwood Alliance has fought threats to our forests and frontline communities. We promote forest protection as the best solution to climate change. We partner with communities to develop economic solutions that work with and for our forests.
Our Forests Aren’t Fuel
Our forests deserve a better fate than burning them for energy. We’re working to stop the growth of the dangerous, destructive biomass industry here and abroad.
Forests & Climate
Forests are one of the best solutions to climate change. But US policies don’t reflect that. We’re advocating for natural climate solutions that focus on standing forests. This is critical in the US South where forests are logged more frequently than anywhere else in the world.
We believe in community-based solutions that work with nature, not against it, to break the cycles of exploitation and injustice. We partner with communities across the South to advance these solutions. We believe in a strong Southern economy that doesn’t rely on forest destruction.
Southern forests are places of beauty, majesty, and awe. They’re some of the most diverse forests on the planet. Our forests:
- Are home to countless plants and animals
- Supply fresh drinking water
- Purify our air
- Store carbon in the fight against climate change
- Support our mental and physical health when we spend time there
- Protect us from the effects of climate change like flooding
- Bring in millions of dollars from tourism and outdoor recreation each year
The US South is also on the frontlines of the racial, social, and environmental justice movements. Southern communities fight daily against injustices and unfair burdens of dirty industries.
In the last 25 years, we’ve:
- Fought for forest protection in the Cumberland Plateau
- Reformed Staples, Office Depot, and KFC’s paper policies
- Transformed how International Paper and other corporate giants manage forests across our region
- Developed cutting-edge forest carbon credit projects
- Worked with community leaders to highlight environmental and racial injustices
- Redesigned meaningful wetland forest conservation with nonprofits, governments, and other stakeholders
The fight isn’t over, but you’ve come to the right place to take action. We’ve got the solutions – we just need your help to make them happen. Together, we can protect forests and communities from the harms of industrial logging.Take Action Now To Support Our Mission